Our next Corderman Women in Construction feature is Mae Bergan Barber! Mae’s professional journey actually began not in construction, but in marketing. A UConn Husky, Mae graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Communication with a focus on Advertising and Public Relations. After living in New York City for a few years, exploring her interests in PR, brand marketing, and interior design, Mae realized that her true passions were in project management. With already some familiarity in construction due to her family background, Mae came to Boston and to Corderman ready to learn the inner works of construction project management. Ambitious, creative and detail-oriented, Mae fits in perfectly with the Corderman team and she continues to inspire and wow us everyday!
A few questions we asked Mae...
1. How did you end up in the construction industry? I grew up on construction sites, as my dad is a woodworker, and while I was always interested in the industry, it was a windy road that led here…. Financial public relations --> consumer products marketing --> fashion brand special projects --> interior design --> Corderman!
2. What do like most about being in the construction industry? The opportunity to be a part of something important, that makes such an impact on other businesses and people.
3. What do you like least about being in the construction industry? So far so good..!
4. What do you consider to be one of your top accomplishments related to the construction industry? I’m very proud that I was able to break into the construction industry without the necessarily ideal background or education. I think all my different roles have taught me important pieces that, although unconventional, I’m proud of.
5. Why do you like working for Corderman & Company? The people, the work, the office, so basically the entire package…! I’ve felt so lucky to be able to come into this office every day.
6. What inspires you? When people around me are inspired; the work of John Pawson; minimal & organized spaces; traveling; early Sunday mornings.
7, What’s your favorite place in the world? I can’t pick 1, that’s an impossible task…Much Wenlock/Shrewsbury ([my husband, Nick's] hometown in England – his family lives in the countryside near Wales and it’s straight out of a movie. Mainly, the pub there is one of my favorite places…), Miami, Stowe, Palm Springs, Our apartment in the South End.