We are thrilled to celebrate Janaina (Jana) Licata as one of our Corderman Women in Construction! A Brazilian, born and raised, we are incredibly fortunate that Jana made her way to Corderman & Company. After graduating from the Universidade Federal de Goiás with a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Jana spent several years working as a civil engineer in Goiânia, Brazil. Jana's background and expertise in civil engineering brings to Corderman a fresh, innovative perspective on construction project management that drives all of us to take our work to the next level. Moreover, Jana's determination, dedication, and integrity reaffirms her integral place within the Corderman & Company team.
A few questions we asked Jana...
1. How did you end up in the construction industry? When I was in high school I knew I wanted to be an engineer because I always loved physics and math. I actually wanted to become a mechanical engineer, but the federal university in my state did not offer this major, and my father did not let me move out to go to college in another state that had a mechanical engineering program, so I had to choose between the engineering majors offered in my state, which were: civil, electrical, and computer engineering. So, I ended up choosing to be a civil engineer for lack of a better choice LOL. Today, I see that . made the right decision and don't regret it for even one second :)
2. What do like most about being in the construction industry? It amazes me how we in the construction industry have the ability to get a design plan and then make it come to life. We can basically build anything that is on an architect’s mind. That is what makes engineers better than architects...just saying :)
3. What do you like least about being in the construction industry? The fact that women are still under appreciated by this industry. The construction industry is still dominated by men, who do not take women’s opinion seriously. It’s sad.
4. What do you consider to be one of your top accomplishments related to the construction industry? I consider working in the construction industry in the United States my top accomplishment. I never imagined that one day I would move to Massachusetts and work in my field in Boston, as I’m just girl born in the country side of Brazil. I still cannot believe that I made it!
5. Why do you like working for Corderman & Company? I like everything about C&Co., the philosophy of the company, the work environment, the people, all the parties, food and alcohol... :) But what I like most is that at C&Co. we are not just co-workers, we are a family.
6. What inspires you? Construction in general inspires and amazes me. We, as human beings, are capable of building bridges and tunnels in the middle of the ocean, for example, and to me that is unbelievable. Even in the past when there was no technology, humans managed to build pyramids. How did they do that? Construction is not just a mere process of constructing a building or infrastructure, it is an art.
7. What’s your favorite place in the world? Dubai. Their constructions are amazing. Hopefully one day I will be able to go there. :)